Friday, August 1, 2008

Kevin/Alan v. Ewan/Charley

Kevin and I aren't out to compete with anyone. We don't pretend to be doing this tour for any noble cause. That is why we need to put to rest the persistent rumors that by undertaking this tour we are trying to take wind out of the sails of Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman.

We've got nothing against their pansy motorcycles and entourage. They chose Africa, we stuck closer to home. To each his own. When our documentary comes out, we won't be trying to out-gross them at the box office because we just won't stoop to that level.

There. I feel better having set the record straight about that. One does wonder, though: if one-upmanship is not the motive, what is? I just said goodbye to Ellen, my lovely bride and high school sweetheart, and won't see her again for 3 weeks (thanks, honey, for indulging me!) and I'm sitting here in the San Diego airport wondering why?

For one thing, I've wanted to do this for a long, long time. The original plan was to ride from Canada to Mexico, and dreams of this accompanied those of cycling from coast to coast (I'll do that someday too). I've never cycled "self-supported" but I've enjoyed several week long bicycle tours where vans carried our luggage, and there's no better way to see the world than from the saddle of a bike. By car the world is framed by windshields and B pillars, and by train you're stuck with windows, but not by bike. On a bike no frames separate viewer from viewed. The thought of having everything we need with us on the bike seems to me to season the experience with a little more freedom - I'll let you know if the extra weight we're carrying starts to feel more like gravitational burden.

For another thing, it is nice to know that the only oil I'll be burning is on the flight up.

In any event, I'm excited! I've decided to carry my laptop so that I can blog frequently (no promises - we'll see if that pans out) and at least right now that seems to add to the fun. Blogging is a fascinating phenomenon and Kevin and I are brand new to it. I may even post a video blog or two - cutting edge, eh?

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I hope you have a grand adventure!

Anonymous said...

Have fun!