Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Repair and Maintenance Stuff

Here's a list of what I expect to have in our repair kit. With it, I think that we can repair most anything that may be needin' some fixin'. I'm sure I will fine tune this list, but I am confident that we will be able to handle just about any mechanical problem short of total frame or wheel failure.


Tire boot
Tire patch kit
Spare spokes with nipples-we'll need 4 sizes to fix any spoke that may break.
Spoke wrench (Usually the spoke wrench in a mini-tool works fine, but if you have wheels built with aluminum spoke nipples, they can round off the corners of the nipple. Since I don't want to risk losing my DT-Swiss spoke wrench,I'll probably bring a Park SW-40. Not as nice a tool as the DT-Swiss , but it doesn't cost $50 either.)
Shimano chain pins (10 speed, DuraAce)
Stein MiniCassette lockring tool. This doodad works to remove a cassette lockring without a chainwhip or big wrench. Pretty clever. If we break a rear wheel drive side spoke this tool is essential in being able to replace the spoke.
Replacement derailer hanger
CrankBros mini-tool
Small tube blue Loctite
Small tube Anti-seize lube

Assortment of stainless steel screws (5mm,6mm) for rack, fender and bottle cage mounts
8mm combination wrench-for fender attachment nuts (daruma, for you Honjo fender fans)

ProLink chain lube. This stuff is great. It lasts a long time-This winter I got over 300 miles per lubing-of course full fenders help lots in the rain, but I expect that we will have to lube our chains every 4 or 5 days.

Ritchey TorqueKey. Every cyclist should have one of these. It is a 4mm hex key, with the proper torque for 5mm screws preset. This is a very common size for stem bolts and seatpost collars, and this ensures that fasteners are properly tightened. If you have any carbon components on your bike, get one!
Spare buckles for shoes
Spare cleat for Speedplay Frog Pedals with spare mounting screws
Spare shift and brake cable
Swiss Army Knife, with corkscrew and bottle opener. (This complements Alan's softside ice chest)
Alan has a few things like cable ties and duct tape, so I won't duplicate them here.

4 comments:

Alan said...

I'll leave my chain lube at home then, but I think I'll bring a spare Frog cleat too.

You're bringing a pump with a gauge, right? If so, I'll just bring a CO2 inflator for emergencies and pick up cartridges when I get up there.

Kevin said...

I have (and will bring along)a pair of cleats-so no worries there. I have a pump, so that is good to go. Threaded or threadless cartridges? I'll pick some up so we don't have to hassle with it later. Time will be tight on Friday.

Alan said...

Threadless. Thanks!

Kevin said...

Consistent with my status of "outfitter to the world", I have a supply of threadless co2 thingies...I shall place some in the official heap of things to bring.